Thompson was historically the territory of the Nipmuck tribe, the called the area “Quinnatisset” or ‘little long river’. In colonial times was the location of the Manexit ‘praying indians’ village along the Old Connecticut Path near present day village of Fabyan.
The first settler in the area was Richard Evans of Rehoboth, MA who purchased 200 acres near Quinnatisset Hill. The town was officially incorporated in 1785 was named for the largest landowner in the area, Sir Robert Thompson of Middlesex, England.
This section will be expanded in the next month or so