Sprague Land Preserve
- Watson Section Parking: Medium sized lot past 154 Holton Rd North Franklin, CT
- Mukluk Section Parking: Small lot down the long gravel road near 46 Holton Rd North Franklin, CT
Out-of-Date Trail Map Trails: 11 miles Rating: ★★★★☆
I’ve done the section by the beaver overlook along the stream here and while it does connect to the Watson Section Parking it doesn’t seem to connect to the Blue or Purple Trails though I certainly may have missed it.
“Work with property owners, State, Friends of Shetucket, and others to acquire additional open space parcels and/or conservation easements along the Shetucket River with the goal to create a trail from Baltic Village to the Sprague Land Preserve that includes handicapped access, exercise equipment, art, education, parking, and river access.”
The original 270 Mukluk Preserve was purchased in 2005. The 230-acre Watson Farm property was purchased in 2012 and the 125-acre Robinson property was added in 2016.
The property has been used for many things since the early 1700’s and was owned by the town’s namesake – William Sprague. Near the second bridge on the white trail, is a crossing known as “Waldo’s Bridge” (across the river in Scotland is the Edward Waldo house) which once provided the most direct route for stagecoaches to reach Norwich from the west side of the river. The bridge abutments, as well as the foundations of homes and old tavern, still exist though are difficult to spot.
- TrailForks – Mountain Biking Sprague Land Preserve
- Peter Marteka – A beautiful eastern Connecticut preserve in Sprague grows bigger (2020)
- Peter Marteka – Sprague Offers One Of Largest Preserves In Southeast Connecticut (2010)
- Peter Marteka – The Scenery Is Just The Beginning Of This ‘So Special’ Gem (2009)
- Town of Sprague – Ride the Shetucket River
- Town of Sprague – 2018 Plan of Conservation and Development
- Tiffany Young @ the Outbound
- Lois Bruinooge @ The Last Green Valley