Peoples State Forest
3059 acres in Barkhamsted, CT
Parking: Lots of parking near 106 E River Rd, Barkhamsted, CT
Trail Map Trails: 9.2 miles Rating: ★★★★☆
Agnes Bowen Trail – Blue/Red Blazes – 2.2 miles
Elliot Bronson Trail – Red Blazes – 2 Miles
- Walt Landgraf Trail to Indian Rock Shelter
Jessie Gerard Trail – Yellow Blazes – 1.3 miles
- Lighthouse Trail
Robert Ross Trail
On October 4th, 1920 the original 400 acres were accepted by the state in the presence of 2,500 people including Governor Charles A. Templeton. It is Connecticut’s eight state forest.
The Stone Museum was built by the men of CCC Camp White from 1934-35. It closed in the early 1950s, and was reopened in 1992 after standing unused for many years. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 4th, 1986.
It was the site of the Connecticut State Forest Nursery until the flood of 1955 after which it was transferred to Voluntown at modern day Pachaug State Forest.
- Peter Marteka – A Pair Of Connecticut’s Grand Vistas In The People’s Forest (2014)
- Peter Marteka – The ‘Lighthouse’ In The Forest (2011)
- CTMQ – Peoples State Forest Trails (2007)
- Peter Marteka – State Sets Aside Funds for Peoples State Forest Projects (2007)
The information shown here is for general reference purposes only. exploreCT.org gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability of this data. Parking in all areas, whether designated here or not, is at your own risk. exploreCT.org is not responsible for any damage or loss to vehicles or contents.
Last updated November 25th, 2019
Visited 144 times, 1 Visits today