White Memorial Conservation Center
White Memorial Foundation Property
- Main Parking: Medium sized lots near 80 Whitehall Rd, Litchfield, CT
- Little Pond Boardwalk Trail: Medium sized lot near Whites Wood Rd, Litchfield, CT
- Mattatuck Trail: Small pull-off near 300 S Plains Rd, Litchfield, CT
Trail Map Trails: 4o miles Rating: ★★★★☆
Little Pond Boardwalk Trail – 1.2 miles
- Far and away the most popular trail at White Memorial the boardwalk trail is a 1.2 mile loop using boardwalks and bridges to navigate around Little Pond. On my last visit in July 2023, due to the seasons frequent rains portions of the boardwalk loop were flooded. A few adventurous souls ventured through the shin deep water, but the majority were unfortunately turned away. This did allow me to enjoy the trail nearly to myself on what otherwise would have been packed with families.
Mattatuck Trail – 6 miles
- White Memorial serves as the current northern terminus of the 42 mile blue blaze Mattatuck Trail. I have not yet explored this section.
Ice House Ruins Trail – 1 mile
- This trail heads south from the main museum area on wide yellow blazed paths. The trail soon forks into a loop which you can take in either direction. It eventually enters a marshy area and the remains of the pier and foundations of the commercial buildings are scattered throughout the woods here. There is a viewing platform of Bantam Lake and fairly easy access to Litchfield Town Beach for Litchfield residents.
- There is a self-guided interpretive brochure to accompany stops along the trail, available here in PDF form, at the Museum when it is open, via QR Codes on posts along the trail, or by visiting http://icehousetour.blogspot.com
Interpretive Nature Trail
Apple Hill Trail
The information shown here is for general reference purposes only. exploreCT.org gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability of this data. Parking in all areas, whether designated here or not, is at your own risk. exploreCT.org is not responsible for any damage or loss to vehicles or contents.
Last updated July 30, 2023
Visited 391 times, 3 Visits today