Tatson’s Woods Preserve
8 acres in Salem, CT
Parking: Next to the driveway near 1 Woodbridge Rd, Salem, CT
Trail Map Trails: 1.2 miles Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Parking is not great for Tatson’s Woods. You park at the bottom of three driveways and cross the road to reach the trailhead. A hundred feet into the woods you are unexpectedly greeted by Mr. Tatson (see the second photo above) an upturned tree trunk with a carved face affixed to it.
Things Mr. Tatson should, but doesn’t, tell you about the property:
- You haven’t reached the property yet, you’re on a half-mile long easement.
- The easy to follow red trail continues beyond the preserve property border for another 1/3rd of a mile to an old campsite before fading into some bushes.
- The actual loop trail is easy miss, rarely traveled, search the trees for blazes to follow it
- At the backside of the loop a completely unused yellow trail that seems to head off into the woods for no reason…
- BUT! The reason for the yellow trail: a massive ancient oak just past the trail end. Easily a couple hundred years old it is surrounded only by a wide ring of ferns
- The Cerulean Warbler, a species facing risk of extinction, has been sighted here
This hike is probably best enjoyed in late-fall or early spring unless you don’t mind a bit of adventure among the ferns at the backside of the loop. I’d guess this property is rarely visited, especially due to the parking situation, but I really enjoyed this property for it’s majestic old oak. It must have been a real sight in its glory days on the farm.
Once part of a large colonial farm this 8-acre property inholding was preserved in 2008. The surrounding 475-acre farm is protected by an easement held by The Nature Conservancy.
CT Audubon – Lyme Forest Block
The information shown here is for general reference purposes only. exploreCT.org gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability of this data. Parking in all areas, whether designated here or not, is at your own risk. exploreCT.org is not responsible for any damage or loss to vehicles or contents.
Last updated September 23rd, 2019
Visited 87 times, 1 Visits today