Trail Map Trails: None Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Established as a state park in 1929 when it was willed to the state by Geraldine W. Hayden. It was originally named Selden Tyler Brainard Park. The park came burdened with liabilities including a right of life use for a Dr. William S. Brainard, an uncle of Geraldine.
The state appears to have somewhat begrudgingly accepted saying,
“While in this first instance it was found possible to accept the bequest, it would of course be better if the suitability of a proposed site could be determined in advance, since a place dear to its owner is not always adaptable to public use, and except in rare instances the memorial function of a State Park must be a subordinate one.”
Peter Marteka – East Haddam’s Creek Row: A Road Back In Time (2011)
Report of the State Park and Forest Commission 1928. State of Connecticut. December 22, 1928. p. 18.
The information shown here is for general reference purposes only. exploreCT.org gives no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability of this data. Parking in all areas, whether designated here or not, is at your own risk. exploreCT.org is not responsible for any damage or loss to vehicles or contents.
Last updated December 27th, 2020
Visited 1679 times, 2 Visits today